Catch the spirit of the holidays with these fun, festive and easy to create holiday touches!
Over-decorating our homes for the holidays is a thing of the past. For many of us, there just isn’t enough time or budget to deck the halls from top to bottom so we thought we’d put together some of our favourite fool-proof ways to get our homes looking festive and inviting without spending a ton of dough or costing us time we just don’t have.
Let’s scroll down to see great things we can do with what we have on hand and how easy it is to repurpose and refresh our favourite decorations we’ve used year after year. It doesn’t take much time or money to spread the cheer around the house with these simple ideas.
1. A beautiful charcoal gray wall is a fitting backdrop for glittery holiday decor. Pre-lit topiaries, a lovely alternative to a Christmas tree, flank a tall, silver-framed mirror that sits permanently in the room year-round behind a mirrored credenza. Mirrors create a magical look over the holidays reflecting light and sparkle from candles, ornaments and crystal decorations and accents. Turn the lights down low and enjoy the romantic ambiance of the room. Photo by Brandon Barré
2. Above: Fill a tray with candles and silver Christmas balls in various sizes and finishes and place on a sideboard, coffee table or ottoman. Don’t be afraid to mix shiny, matte and glittered finishes. Add a pop of colour here and there with christmas balls in traditional or non-traditional colours or silver pinecones (below) in clear glass apothecary jar or a simple glass vase. Great for adding a festive accent to small spaces like bathrooms and hallways.
3.Below: Coffee tables look amazing when decorated with candle light. Mix and match your candlesticks and use what you have to create a stunning vignette like the one below. Use the same finish, gold or silver for example, to create an dramatic, elegant and more unified look.
4. Below:No more cords! Battery operated LED string lights come in all sizes, shapes and colours and are perfect for lighting up all your holiday decor from trees to mantelscapes to floral arrangements and more! The lights on the left below are submersible giving your fresh floral arrangements the holiday sparkle they deserve! Find them at craft and floral stores.
5. Below: Entertaining is always easier when you have the right serving pieces on hand. Small trays like the one below in faux leather with a touch of glitter from Home Sense, are perfect for serving beverages or appetizers or to create mini bars when entertaining. They come in handy when it’s time to clean up too!
6. Adding a little candlelight can do wonders for a dark corner, dining table, side table or guest bathroom. Place a candle (battery operated candles are safest to use) on a square mirror and decorate with a reflective christmas ball tied with a bow and finish it off with a glittery silver spray. Easy and simple to do at the last minute.
7.Below: Place cards and holders in unique shapes and sizes add a formal touch to any holiday table. They also help avoid confusion and more importantly, potentially uncomfortable situations when entertaining family and friends.
8. Below: The tree’s all decorated but you’re left with a few special ornaments. Don’t pack them away – cover them in glass! We’ve used a pretty vintage glass side plate and glass cheese dome for this pretty decoration that took seconds to make and will look gorgeous wherever you need a little holiday bling.
9. Below: These comfy red gingham puffy slippers from Ikea make great “gift bags” for someone special! Fill with a package of hot chocolate and some marshmallows – and some Baily’s for the adults – a fun alternative to the traditional Christmas stocking!
10. Below: What better way to end the day after a happy holiday celebration than relaxing by the fire in a comfy chair under a warm and cosy throw. The Jane by Jane Lockhart Downey chair by Statum Designs shown below at Winterberry Lane in Oakville is a perfect choice!
See how Jane decorates her own home for the holidays and get lots more great last-minute holiday decor ideas when Jane meets up with Marilyn on CTV’s The Marilyn Denis Show, December 19 at 10 am. Don’t miss the fun!
Jane Lockhart is an interior design professional, speaker, author, and television host of Colour Confidential. She resides in Toronto, Canada.